This is the next 10 months of my life:
To construct a real time three dimensional simulation of congested traffic flows in Java and to test various ideas surrounding the build up of congestion.
Such tests may include but are not limited to:
- Testing various algorithms for effectively navigating already congested traffic in the shortest amount of time
- Testing algorithms to determine the best approach to reduce the build up of congestion
- Investigating the impact of various events such as an accident, construction of a new road or lane on the amount of congestion in the model.
- Project constructed in object orientated and model-view-controller code in Java
- Use of Open GL or other three dimensional rendering tools
- Interactive GUI allowing end user to construct traffic model
- Ability to import satellite images in standard JPEG format to be used as ground textures.
- Road network data structure to be based on Graph Theory
- Cars implemented as artificial intelligence agents with real world physical control models, collision detection and awareness, environmental awareness.
- Ability to perform controlled tests on simulation, including testing of algorithms for avoiding congestion once built up, algorithms for avoiding congestion build up, and impacts on varying road network design and events on traffic flows.
- Ability to extract data and results from the model.
Planned Project Timeline:
- Project planning
- Initial prototyping and skeleton of code class layouts.
- Skelton of thesis written in Latex.
- Research into existing traffic simulation, causes of congestion, real life techniques for reducing congestion, and other relevant topics.
- Coding of basic 3D GUI controls and viewers.
- Thesis introduction written
- Research and design of various tests to be performed on traffic simulator.
- Coding of road network design controls.
- Results of research written into thesis.
- Review of possible tests and design of artificial intelligence controls to implement tests.
- Coding of simulator controls and agents/cars on network.
- Testing ideas written into thesis.
- Correct realistic implementation of cars and interactions with road network within simulator.
- GUI ideas written into thesis.
- Implementation of initial tests on simulator.
- Simulation controls written into thesis.
- Review of results of simulator with expected outcomes and possible real world examples for validity, recoding of artificial intelligence controls if mistakes are discovered.
- Summary of initial tests written into thesis.
- Second set of tests on simulator, either the corrected versions of the initial tests or new tests developed as a result of initial tests.
- Summary of second round of tests written into thesis.
- Conclusions and review of thesis made.
- Review of final version of thesis.
- Thesis due on 11th.